Better Balanced Streets for People and Place
is a feasibility study, commissioned by Kendal Futures, to develop concept proposals for how the town’s traffic system can be improved for all users. It aims, through the use of inspiring visualisations, to get the local community and decision makers excited about the potential for change in the town. Ideas and solutions are included which can be taken forward for more detailed assessment and development.
- Reimagines Kendal’s road network, a key focus for improvement in the Vision
- Makes car journeys shorter and more logical, while reducing traffic dominance
- Plans will make the town centre more pleasant to walk and cycle through
- Investment in streets will raise the quality of Kendal and its attractiveness to visit, shop, live, work and relax in
This high level feasibility study, supported by technical data, shows there is a viable alternative to Kendal’s current road system. The opportunity to improve Kendal’s roads, and the associated investment in the Place, will result in a wide range of benefits.
The strategy outlined in the report identifies opportunities for enhancing Kendal by revising traffic routing in the town. At the heart of the recommendations are some underlying principles:
- The importance of placemaking in creating a desirable town centre for all users
- Slower traffic speeds with a 20mph zone within the town
- High quality public realm to aid traffic calming and pedestrian facilities
- Shared spaces where cyclists can feel safe and equal while using the streets
- Trees, planting and landscaping to improve the look and feel of Kendal’s streets
The concepts shown are to convey ideas regarding a strategy for improving the balance of use by all road users within Kendal. The concepts developed are conceptual at this stage. As the strategy develops, the design team would certainly welcome the opportunity to engage with all user groups to develop design principles as the projects progress. An accessibility audit design development will be an objective, to enable inclusive design to be fully considered.
Read Better Balanced Streets for People and Place
Kendal Futures published the Kendal Vision in March 2020, after hearing the views of 2,000 local people. The impact of traffic on Kendal’s streets was one of their primary concerns with the one-way system recognised as creating significant negative impacts including; dramatically increasing the distances driven in the town, uncomfortable traffic speeds, and noise and air pollution. The Kendal Vision is now inspiring change which will deliver a vibrant and exciting future for Kendal.
The Better Balanced Streets study was funded via Kendal Futures CIC using project development funding from Westmorland and Furness Council and by the UK Government through the UK Shared Prosperity Fund. The UK Shared Prosperity Fund is a central pillar of the UK Government’s Levelling Up agenda and provides £2.6 billion of funding for local investment by March 2025. The Fund aims to improve pride in place and increase life chances across the UK investing in communities and place, supporting local business, and people and skills. For more information, visit https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/uk-shared-prosperity-fund-prospectus.